Friday, September 18, 2026

I just picked up these and the Muzzy second year and what is coming in the mail

 It seems that collecting cards and autographs go hand and hand and there are a lot of times we see issues that make us stop and think. We say is this really worth it, the let downs when a certain player won't sign an autograph. As collectors we see these athletes differently when we should see them as we are: Human Beings. I too get upset when I do not get a certain players auto back as a success but rather a disappointment and it usually is a player that is more noticed by fans because of their talents making them a star versus a player who puts up low numbers. That is wrong because any player that can crack a lineup for that league is a damn good player but we as fans get spoiled because of a players star qualities.

When I got the package yesterday of the 2 sets of Minnesota Gophers Women's hockey cards I was quite excited. Taking the time to read the stats and the interesting card writeups asking the players questions and printing there answers on the back. Have you ever read the backs of the cards now a days?? They look to be written by a 10 year old but maybe they don't care because it seems the collectors today are only interested in a players star quality.

What makes a card valuable?? If we look at a price guide it seems it is the players who lead their team in stats and the only time a common type player card is valuable is when the card is limited or an error that not many know about. The not knowing though today does not last as long with the internet and this is what takes the fun out of the hobby for some. I feel that way as the hobby is now based as a way for some to get rich quick instead of just enjoying a players card. I find the hobby to be upsetting and when I see the prices realized at auction I laugh at what is being paid. A card made withing a few years worth millions is just downright nuts. Over a period of time that card will suffer and the price will fall like a rock from the sky.

So lets take a look at these 2 sets and discuss what I am talking about like stand out players and common players. It is all just a way to get a stars cards and forget about the player who seems to get lost and their cards are just a common card.


This card is the 1998-99 Minnesota Gophers card of Nadine Muzerall and this is her second year card. As you can see from me showing this card first that I am excited owning this card so I am doing the same thing which is letting her talent take over as a indication to me and I am going to try and be as excited for every card and autograph that I add to my collection.

This card is the 1998-99 Minnesota Gophers card of Laura Slominski and this is her rookie card. Laura put up good numbers and became team captain her senior year of 2001-02. She went on to coach at various schools, During her 4 years as a Gopher she amassed 162 points.

This card is the 1998-99 Minnesota Gophers card of Courtney Kennedy. Courtney played in 2 Olympics winning a silver medal in 2002 and a bronze medal in 2006.

This card is the 1998-99 Minnesota Gophers card of Shannon Kennedy. This is Courtney Kennedy's older sister who played 3 seasons with the Gophers. She did put up decent numbers 65 points over 2 seasons adding 24 goals.

This card is the 1998-99 Minnesota Gophers card of Ambria Thomas. She is another player who put up good numbers. I was surprised to see that her career ended after her 4 years as a gopher. She amassed a total of 201 points, with 89 goals. She is a tough tough autograph as well. I have written to her twice with no success and I will not be trying again at least with this card. I will not be sending any of these cards out because I do not want to break up the set by not getting the card back. I may buy a few single cards of new players from the 1998-99 team as I have all of the autographs from the 1997-98 team all except 7. I will not take on trying to complete another set as it is too frustrating.


These cards are from the other set I just got. I will show these 3 cards but my next blog post I will be discussing more of these cards. The card on the left is of Gigi Marvin, the middle card is Anne Schleper and the card on the right showing the back of the card is Kelli Blankenship. I chose Kelli's card because of the answers she gave to the questions. The first question her answer made me laugh. Do you have any secret talents?? Answer: I can touch my nose with my tongue. What is the greatest hockey movie of all time?? Answer Youngblood. If you didn't play hockey, What sport would you want to play?? Answer Beach Volleyball. Why did you pick your jersey number?? Answer Because 7 is a good looking number and I have to agree with her there because I wore number 7 as well.

The only two players missing from this set are the Lamoureux twins Jocelyne and Monique. Maybe someday I will find these 2 cards and add them to my growing collection of women Hockey players.

There are times when I feel like just stopping the through the mail autographs and just concentrate on the base cards but it is hard to just stop. What makes me angry is when I get back RTS especially when I know the player has got the request but they just send it back because they just wish not to sign.

My next blog post you will see the cards that I have been going on so much about. Hint it will be my first double autographed card. I have just found out that those cards are enroute and I hope and pray that the postal people do not lose the letter as I am currently at 9 letters lost this year which to me is uncalled for.

So until my next post Happy Collecting and stay Safe!!!






 



No comments:

Post a Comment